Did You Know?
- Most individuals have between three and five pounds of microbes living in their gut, roughly the same weight as your brain.
- Your body is composed of around 10 trillion human cells but hosts around 100 trillion bacterial cells. Your body’s bacteria cells outnumber your own human cells ten to one.
- About 99.9 percent of the unique genes in your body are bacterial, with only about 0.1% being human.
- The microbiota of a healthy person provides protection from pathogens that enter the body through drinking or eating contaminated water or food.
- Changing what you eat can improve your gut microbiome in as little as 3 days.